Established in the early 1990s, MIAC is ACR’s longest-standing committee, formed to provide leadership and collaboration to ensure the long-term success of the Mining Engineering Program at the University of Alberta (UoA). Having accomplished that goal, the UoA Mining School is now a well-established program that is renowned for its relevance, quality an collaboration. MIAC is also active in broader work to educate, develop and attract the skills and technologies needed in mining in the future. MIAC membership includes industry and university leaders as well as students from the Mining Engineering Program.
- Peter Read
Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- Fraser Forbes
University of Alberta, Faculty of Engineering
Sub-committees of MIAC are in place with specific areas of focus and goals:
- Business Planning – updates to MIAC Business Plan on ~5 year intervals to review strategy and objectives
- Marketing – promote the mining industry and mining engineering as a career within school curricula and with students entering 1st and 2nd year Engineering
- Placement – ensure all new Mining Engineering graduates and co-op/summer students have access to relevant and desirable jobs throughout economic cycles
- Curriculum – review and adjust Mining curriculum to maintain relevance and ensure future skill needs are incorporated
- Student & Faculty Planning – ensure program intake/size, facilities and staff planning are aligned and considered in business plans
- Innovation – recently formed Canadian Mining Innovation Council (CMIC) Surface Mining Group to collaborate on, and advance, innovation and technology in the surface mining and heavy construction industries
- Effectiveness – monitor/ensure progress on MIAC goals, succession planning and membership
Inside Education Mining Posters (a four-part poster series that examines Alberta’s mining industry, the extraction process, natural resources hidden deep underground, the environmental and societal impacts, careers and more)
This video is a compilation of 6 smaller videos (links below). It was created and sponsored by the MIAC Committee as an informative piece on Mining Engineering for the University of Alberta.
Join Our Committees
Alberta Chamber of Resources members believe in our collective ability to positively shape the future for resources industries in Alberta. Become a member and become eligible to work on committees that address issues you care about. We’re stronger together—join us and make a difference in your province!